This last weekend was a hodge-podge of events.

Friday night and Saturday-day I spent with my parents, sister and grandmother (on my mom’s side). 

My sister has decided to go back to Nebraska for college next year. She’s my best friend and my confidant. So, being the sentimental soul that I am, I was glad to have spent some quality time with her.

On the way to lunch at my grandmothers after church Saturday, we passed an old feed mill and distribution facility that has been a landmark in my grandma’s town of Jefferson for many a year.

But instead of tall white buildings, there was only a dark smouldering pile of wood. The place had burned to the ground only a few hours prior. All that was left was the charred metal frame of a truck that had been parked in front of the building when it caught fire.

Saturday night was reserved for time with a friend who had an inkling to go see something on the last night of the Capital Fringe Festival. I told him I was glad he’d thought of it because I’d been itching to see something from the festival this year. Consider the itch scratched.

We caught an excellent and hilarious monologue about one guy’s obsession with the atom bomb, the incompetence of our department of homeland security, ground zero (the original ground zero where the atom bomb was first tested) and the Manhattan Project. It was called “if you see something say something,” performed by Mike Daisey.

The stuff on the Manhatten Project hit home. My father recently discovered when searching through his father’s old records that Grandpa, a neurological surgeon, had performed tests on pilots to see how quickly they could speed away after dropping the bomb without loosing consciousness. I guess the government wanted to be sure that the guys who dropped the atomic bombs made it out alive. I never knew my Grandpa. He died in a tractor accident when I was 3 months old.

Anyway, one of my favorite lines of the monologue when Daisey said that life in the US was all “jellybeans and orgasms” prior to the 9/11 attacks. OMG!!! I was laughing for a while to that line.

Afterwards we went over to one of my old haunts, Old Ebbitt Grill. Then we ventured to Madam’s Organ in Adams Morgan, danced some to live music in a crowded room and headed home. Luckily we caught the last metro train back.

I woke at about 2:30 p.m. Sunday with my body feeling very creaky and in desperate need of a few glasses of water and orange juice. I stayed at home for the day, cleaning, watching movies and reading a book.

It was a good couple of days.