Yesterday I suggested to a friend that he write a list of 50 things to do in the next 10 years.
Here’s what I have so far. I’m going to leave the last five things open for a couple days to see if I get any good recommendations.
1. Throw an impromptu WMATA subway car party with my friends
2. Learn the military phonetic alphabet
3. Travel to every continent
4. Eat Kimchee in Korea
5. Sing Karaoke in Japan
6. Buy a prayer flag in Tibet
7. Drive up to New York, spend time with Jon’s mom and visit Jon’s grave to put flowers there on memorial day at least twice
8. Send thank you cards to veterans on veterans day every year in honor of Jon Cadavero (1 year accomplished so far)
9. Sky dive
10. Fall deeply in love — helplessly, unabashedly and unconditionally.
11. Go to Walden Pond and read Thoreau while drifting in a canoe.
12. Shower in a waterfall.
13. Make out under a waterfall
14. Drive the Autobahn
15. Revisit the Grand Canyon, take the donkey ride down, go white water rafting in the Colorado River
16. Swim with whales in the wild (or at least be in a small boat next to them)
17. See the Aurora Borealis.
18. Sleep in an ice motel
19. Go into the wilderness for a week and speak not a word for 7 days solid.
20. Go snorkeling at a tropical reef (hopefully there will still be fish around)
21. Take a three + day horseback camping trip
22. Ride a camel in the desert
23. Crochet a sweater that fits and looks good
24. Learn how to make a pie the way my grandmother does (God willing)
25. Visit a live volcano
26. Go ice climbing
27. Get back into rock climbing again
28. Learn how to play the paino accompaniment to Air in G
29. Pay off my credit card debt
30. Buy a car with cash
31. Go to the tomato festival in Spain
32. Learn how to say 50 useful phrases in five different languanges other than English
33. Write my will
34. Have Grandma show me her geneology research and scrap books one more time
35. Ski down a double diamond slope – successfully
36. Throw a dart at a map and go there
37. Go grape stomping
38. Learn how to change car brakes
39. Meet a Delaware Indian
40. Learn how to tango… go tango dancing
41. Spend 24 hours in prayer, meditation and song
42. Say I love you without fear of hitting the ground (it’s a lot easier to stay safe and know you’ll only have to jump from a bunk bed of a relationship than to take a chance and leap from the skyscraper of love)
43. Beat my brother at a game of Chess
44. Learn a Soprano opera song in the original language and sing it for Karaoke some day when everyone’s good and schnookered